28.4.10

loooong update!

On the days Matt works and I have my 6am boot camp, Sophie stays for an hour with my mom. I was sooooo nervous at first. I couldn't concentrate in class and I think I probably cried a little. The first day I came home my mom and Sophie were outside waiting for me, poor little thing was not very happy. The 2nd time she cried for about 10 minutes and then fell asleep in her swing. The past few times however she has either slept the entire hour or hung out with my mom, sans crying!!! It's like a blessing to me, I can work out guilt free. Feels good! After boot camp today Sophie and I went to my moms kindergarten classroom and hung out with the kids for amphibian day. We helped them make all kinds of fun projects including frog ice-cream floats! My mom is so creative. Her kids love Sophie and will be in 5th grade once she starts school there. They promised me they would look out for her :) They sang and danced for her, keeping a safe distance of course...who knows where their little hands have been lol. After Sophie's first day of school we went to my mommy's circle group. This is a group I joined a few weeks ago, where women meet with their babies and just talk about things that are going on in their lives, issues with sleeping, eating, etc...
The class is ran by a doula who has been delivering babies for 30 years. I am learning a lot from her. One of the things she told me was that 5 months may be a bit too early to start rice cereal as grains aren't the best thing for babies at this young age. Sophie took to eating solids easily however I don't want her to get constipated or get belly aches from it. She recommended we wait until 6 months when we start the fruits and veggies. She also explained that it's a myth that rice cereal helps a baby sleep better. (a lot of our friends were telling us this so we assumed it was true without reading about it ourselves) In fact studies show they sleep worse if started too early. I came home and researched it. She was right. SO we're going to wait a few more weeks, no big deal. I'm fully aware that every baby is different and some may choose to start their babies as early as 4 months. We're making this decision because we feel it's what's best for Sophie. I feel so blessed I have her as a resource and she has actual data on my questions, not just opinions. She also gave us a bunch of handmade clothes her mom had made for her daughter. My mom was her daughters teacher so she feels a connection with me and thought they would be going to a good home! Awesome! Homemade is the best!
We stopped at Whole Foods for Guac ingredients and some chicken.
There was a package from my dad on the doorstep. His mom collected salt and pepper shakers (she had over 5000) and is getting rid of them as she doesn't have much longer to live. My dad picked out a special one for Matt and I, and one for Sophie :) I will post photos soon! Gotta go clean and cook and kiss this baby! xoxoxo

No comments: